What’s Holding You Back?
On today’s Podcast – we’re going to be covering using Safety Harnesses. So stay tuned…
Welcome to Warehouse Safety Tips!
You can find the show notes to each episode, links to the information mentioned on the podcast, the social media platforms we’re on, and anything else related to the podcast at WarehouseSafetyTips.com.
If you’re a seasoned Podcast Listener – this podcast is going to be different from most you listen to. It’s based around exactly what the name implies – Warehouse Safety Tips. And since the people in that industry are busy – we know time is money, so each episode will be as short and to the point as possible.
And now that all that is out of the way – let’s get to the Podcast!
They always say “Facts Tell / Stories Sell”.
You get plenty of stats via signs, emails, and meetings – so I figured a couple stories might deliver home the importance of today’s Podcast.
What’s the topic? Safety Harnesses.
As with a lot of Safety Equipment – the times you’re wearing it versus the times you need it, are extremely out of proportion. But for those times you need it – you’re always glad you were utilizing it or wishing you had.
In the case of Safety Harnesses – because heights are usually involved, you really don’t want the “Wishing you had” scenario to ever play out.
I promised you stories – and here they are.
Our first story involves working in a Cherry Picker. I was cutting branches on the high limbs of a tree. We were doing everything as safe as possible. While cutting a branch – it spun the opposite direction we wanted it too, and clipped the basket I was in. When it happened – it caused the entire Cherry Picker to bounce and then violently rock back and forth. Luckily – part of being safe as possible included my wearing a harness. But even though I was securely fastened to the basket – I still received quite a shaking (Mentally and Physically). Not being secure in this situation could have spelled death or a very serious injury.
Before moving on – here’s a word from one of our sponsors.
If you’ve ever been to or worked in a warehouse – you know just how important safety is to both management and staff. It’s almost impossible to go 10 steps without seeing Safety Tape, Angles, Signs, and/or products.
It’s these items that show us how to be safe and avoid danger in the workplace. And if you’re looking for the best products to make this happen – look no further than Mighty Line!
Mighty Line Floor Signs / Floor Markings offer the best industrial products out there!
What makes Mighty Line the superior choice in keeping your facility safe and productive?
- Mighty Line Tape is the strongest floor tape on the market and has a beveled edge that increases durability for industrial brush scrubbers, forklifts, and heavy industrial wheel traffic.
- Easy installation and removal thanks to Mighty Line’s peel and stick backing. You can apply and reapply it during installation – and it leaves no sticky residue should you need to remove it. This allows the ability to change workflow areas quickly and easily – and not have the downtime associated with painting or using floor markings that leave behind a mess when you remove them.
- Mighty Line Tape is 7 times thicker than the average Safety Floor Tape.
- Mighty Line’s Signs and Marking come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes. And if they don’t have what you’re looking for in stock – their Customize It Program allows you to create exactly what you’re looking for.
- Mighty Line offers a Limited 3-Year Warranty on their Floor Signs and Markings.
- And last but certainly not least – Mighty Line Products are Patented and PROUDLY Made in the USA!
We’re proud to have Mighty Line as THE Official Floor Sign / Floor Marking Company for the Warehouse Safety Tips Podcast and Site.
Now back to the Podcast…
Our second story is one that has sparked a lot of discussions whenever I’ve told it.
A friend of mine was a manager for a large hardware chain. Regardless of the height, whenever off the ground and stocking material (Or in this checking inventory) – all employees had to be wearing a Safety Harness. My friend had been told once before to always wear his harness while using a rolling set of steps – and on the second time he was caught not wearing it, he was fired.
When describing this story – it always sounded to me like bad blood between two managers. I have no idea what other circumstances may or may not have been in his background. But one fact remains true in this story. He admits to being written up twice for not wearing the Safety Harness.
When it comes to Safety Equipment – it can:
- Get hot
- Obstruct vision
- Be uncomfortable
- Make it difficult to move freely
- Make it difficult to pick up or maneuver small items
- Be a nuisance and/or time consuming to put on
- And MANY other situations
Fair or unfair. Comfortable or uncomfortable. When management is around or not around. Safety Procedures and equipment – and the rules surrounding when and how to properly wear them – are put in place to keep you, your staff, and your facility safe.
Keep that in mind whenever questioning its importance – and have a safe day!
If you visit WarehouseSafetyTips.com
– you’ll find the Show Notes for this episode.Thank you for listening to Warehouse Safety Tips – and have a SAFE day!