Eyes UP Forks DOWN
On today’s Podcast, we’ll be covering making sure you’re being safe while operating Forklifts – so stay tuned.
If you’re a seasoned Podcast Listener – this podcast is going to be different from most you listen to. It’s based around exactly what the name implies – Warehouse Safety Tips. And since the people in that industry are busy – we know time is money, so each episode will be as short and to the point as possible.
And now that all that is out of the way – let’s get to the Podcast!
- Before even getting on a forklift for the first time within a shift – do a safety check of the vehicle to make sure the wheels are in good condition and free of debris, that there aren’t any leaks, that fuel and/or battery power are good, and that everything appears to be in good working order. If something is out of place beyond the battery or fuel – be sure to alert management.
- When we say – keep your eyes up, we mean pay CLOSE attention to your surroundings (Especially Blind Spots).
- Forks down should be interpreted just as it sounds. Unlike operating other machinery – with a forklift, you literally have forks in front of you. Whenever you’re not unloading and/or lifting a load – be sure to have your forks as low to the ground as possible to avoid hitting someone and/or something.
- In addition to the forks – much of the time you’ll have items ON them. Make sure you’re always able to see around the load you’re carrying – and have it as secure as possible.
- You should always be mindful of your speed when operating any vehicle – but when you have a load, it’s especially important to maintain a safe speed.
- You never want to do a hard brake when carrying a load – as it could fly off your forks and/or shift forward causing damage and/or injury.
- Sound your horn to let everyone know you’re coming – and remember to give people on foot the right of way.
- We mentioned checking your wheels to assure they’re in good condition and free of debris – and you’ll need to do the same for the areas you’re driving on. Be sure to watch for wet, slick, and/or debris-covered areas.
- If the vehicle you’re on has seat belts and/or harnesses – be sure to wear them. Many injuries sustained by lift truck operators are from being thrown off and/or crushed by the vehicle they’re operating.
- Don’t travel in areas you’re not supposed to be in.
Before moving on – here’s a word from one of our sponsors.
If you’ve ever been to or worked in a warehouse – you know just how important safety is to both management and staff. It’s almost impossible to go 10 steps without seeing Safety Tape, Angles, Signs, and/or products.
It’s these items that show us how to be safe and avoid danger in the workplace. And if you’re looking for the best products to make this happen – look no further than Mighty Line!
Mighty Line Floor Signs / Floor Markings offer the best industrial products out there!
Go to MightyLineTape.com/SafetyTips to request a Sample Pack of their incredible Safety Signs and Floor Markings.
What makes Mighty Line the superior choice in keeping your facility safe and productive?
Mighty Line Tape is the strongest floor tape on the market and has a beveled edge that increases durability for industrial brush scrubbers, forklifts, and heavy industrial wheel traffic.
- Easy installation and removal thanks to Mighty Line’s peel and stick backing. You can apply and reapply it during installation – and it leaves no sticky residue should you need to remove it. This allows the ability to change workflow areas quickly and easily – and not have the downtime associated with painting or using floor markings that leave behind a mess when you remove them.
- Mighty Line Tape is 7 times thicker than the average Safety Floor Tape.
- Mighty Line’s Signs and Marking come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes. And if they don’t have what you’re looking for in stock – their Customize It Program allows you to create exactly what you’re looking for.
- Mighty Line offers a Limited 3-Year Warranty on their Floor Signs and Markings.
- And last but certainly not least – Mighty Line Products are Patented and PROUDLY Made in the USA!
We’re proud to have Mighty Line as THE Official Floor Sign / Floor Marking Company for the Warehouse Safety Tips Podcast and Site.
Again – Go to MightyLineTape.com/SafetyTips to request a Sample Pack of their incredible Safety Signs and Floor Markings.
Thank you for joining us on this episode of Warehouse Safety Tips – and stay safe!
The post Warehouse Safety Tips | Episode 68 | Eyes UP Forks DOWN appeared first on Warehouse Safety Tips.